WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals rebound to get sweep

Ball State dominates Georgia State in first game of IUPUI Hampton Inn Invitational

With Ball State's issues learning a new rotation and its number of mental lapses this season, its NCAA tournament hopes seemed a little exaggerated.

But it's the kind of performance on Friday against Georgia State that reminds coach Steve Shondell of Ball State's potential this season. That is, when Ball State plays its brand of volleyball.

"[It was] our best match of the year, without question," Shondell said. "It was a match that we controlled really from start to finish."

Ball State rebounded after a midweek loss to IPFW by sweeping Georgia State in three sets (25-13, 25-21, 25-18) at the IUPUI Hampton Inn Invitational.

The reason for the improved play is simply the team's balance with the offense, Shondell said.

"We have to be a balanced team," he said. "We have to get all five of our attackers [going]. We cannot just wear our left side out."

Senior outside hitter Kara Bates led the balanced attack from Ball State with 11 kills. Four other Ball State players had eight kills apiece, including senior transfer middle blocker Lisa Scott. Her eight kills were the most she's had this season.

Shondell said getting Scott more sets was a focus to get her going after struggling early on this season. Scott transferred from Maryland and hadn't played in two years before the opener for Ball State in 2012.

"She's a real key player to our team this year," Shondell said. "We controlled the ball better tonight. It allowed [the middle blockers] to get lots of sets."

Ball State out played Georgia State in attack percentage, digs, blocks and assists. The Cardinals' 6.5 total blocks were the most in a match through the first five matches.

Junior setter Jacqui Seidel finished the match with 33 assists on 36 attempts for a .917 percentage.

Shondell credited the team's balance to the offense being executed as planned. Passes went where they were supposed to go, allowing Seidel better balls to set, he said.

"I've been hoping that we would start running an offense like we ran tonight as soon as possible," Shondell said. "I just didn't know how long it was going to take."

Junior libero Catie Fredrich led all players with 25 digs in three sets.

Shondell was able to give the bench some playing time, including freshman setter Jenna Spadafora. She recorded seven assists and a kill in her first match of the season.