WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State wins home opener in impressive fashion

Cardinals began the year with a 25-8 win in their first set of the season

With all the expectations surrounding a team with health and rotation questions, the season opener couldn't have gone much better.

The Ball State women's volleyball team opened the season with a 25-8 win of the first set Friday against Gardner-Web in the Ball State Active Ankle Challenge.

"We just came out like we did two years ago against Tennessee State," coach Steve Shondell said. "Just everything went our way in that first game. Often times when you get that easy win, ultimately opponents tighten their belt. They were a different team in games two and three than they were in game one."

It was an impressive but ugly start overall. Gardner-Webb committed nine attacking errors to finish the set with an attack percentage of -.400. Five of Gardner-Webb's eight points in the first set were off of service errors committed by Ball State.

After the first set, Gardner-Webb took an early lead in the second set until Ball State rallied to win. Senior and preseason All-Mid-American Conference selection Kara Bates said the team let off the pressure a little.

"That wasn't our mindset at all, but I think when you beat a team that much you get a little more lax," Bates said.

Bates said she was impressed with how well the team was able to come out and get through the first game jitters without a loss.

"It just showed how much hard work we put into preseason this year and how focused we were for that first game," Bates said.

Shondell said he credited the crowd for being a big factor in Gardner-Webb's jitters early on but not to take too much out of season openers.

"We've got to play a lot better," Shondell said. "There was just a lot of nervousness in the opening match. You can never really tell a whole lot from the season opener."

Her four kills and .800 attack percentage led the way for Ball State along with a strong return performance from junior setter Jacqui Seidel, who missed the end of last season with an ACL injury.

Seidel finished with 29 assists and 10 digs while running all over the court for the Cardinals, even diving into the scorer's table one time to save a ball Bates had misplayed.

"I wanted to just punch myself in the face," Bates said about her reaction. "So my heart kind of stopped for a second. But that's just how Jacqui [Seidelis."

Shondell said he wasn't worried about how she was playing "without fear" despite last season's knee injury.

"That's just her," he said. "She's just a go-getter. You're not going to tell a player not to hustle."

New transfer, senior middle blocker Lisa Scott was able to rebound after a rough first two sets to help Ball State close out the match in three. It was her first collegiate match in two years.

"Getting my jitters out was huge for me," Scott said. "I gave myself permission to mess up. I relaxed and stop putting so much pressure on myself."

Scott finished with five kills and two block assists.

Ball State continues their home tournament against VCU at 11 a.m. Saturday. in Worthen Arena.