MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Injuries hurting Ball State after break from play

Hartley, Aucoin expected to step into starting roles this weekend

A two-week break from competitive volleyball matches hasn't gone as planned for the Ball State men's volleyball team.

What should have been a time to rest, recover and develop trust and stability across the starting lineup has been the exact opposite.

Both freshman outside attacker Matt Sutherland and junior right-side attacker Greg Herceg, starters in Ball State's last two matches, are dealing with nagging injuries. At least two other players are feeling sick.

And the timing couldn't be worse. Ball State is preparing for one of its most difficult and most important weekends of the season, playing No. 9 Lewis on Friday and in-state rival IPFW on Saturday, both on the road.

As Ball State's 14-year head coach, the reality of the situation is something Joel Walton accepted long ago.

"That's what a season is," Walton said. "You're going to have guys who get hurt, guys who get sick, just unforeseeable things that will happen. There's no perfect equation."

Sutherland has been rehabbing his ankle after he rolled it in practice shortly after playing Loyola. Walton said he's "trying to get back to 100 percent."

Herceg is dealing with soreness is in his back.

Mounting injuries can derail any team from reaching its goals, especially late in the season, but Ball State's case may be different. Both senior outside attacker Jeff Aucoin and junior right-side attacker Jamion Hartley now have the opportunity they've been waiting for.

The two players were named starters this weekend by Walton, replacing Sutherland and Herceg.

Aucoin hasn't started since the first two matches of the season, playing sparingly off the bench until now. Hartley opened the season as Ball State's most effective offensive weapon before heading to the bench after subpar play as well.

Both players have for the most part watched and waited for their turn to prove themselves for over a month.

The opportunity wasn't just handed to them due to injuries, however. Walton said both players earned the right to start.

As the quarterback on offense, sophomore setter Dan Wichmann singled out Aucoin as a player who's stood out in practice recently.

"He's really stepped up," Wichmann said. "I definitely think he'll be able to play a big role for us. He jumps really well, has a really strong arm. I think that'll definitely help us out."

No matter who is on the court, freshman Shane Witmer said it will be important that every player takes the week seriously in preparation for two difficult opponents.

"This week I think is going to be the 'get back into it week,'" freshman Shane Witmer said. "I'm sure today we'll start to gear up a little bit."