MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Celebration ends as Ball State heads to Loyola

Cardinals go on road two days after biggest win of season

Reality has set in for Ball State fans.

The men's volleyball team really did defeat No. 10 Ohio State on Sunday.

Now, only two days removed from the celebration with a road match against Loyola at 7 p.m. tonight, the Cardinals have to answer the next question they face: can they do it again?

Junior outside attacker Larry Wrather thinks so. And for him, the surge will only keep going.

"I told the guys in our huddle at the end, this pretty much shows how we should play every game," Wrather said. "If we play this every match, there's no way we can't push through and win the MIVA this year."

Wrather and the rest of the Ball State players certainly have many reasons to be so confident. They played better in almost every category while beating Ohio State.

Ball State's digging was just as important to its upset win as its hitting and blocking. A final tally of 69 digs tied for Ball State's third-highest mark in the Rally Scoring Era.

A slight change made in Ball State's lineup against Ohio State may have made that possible. Coach Joel Walton said he moved junior Larry Wrather from his regular position next to the setter into the back row. Freshman outside attacker Matt Sutherland took Wrather's place at the net.

The strategy worked perfectly. Wrather finished with 19 digs to easily top his old career-high, while Sutherland gave Ohio State's star outside attacker Shawn Sangrey fits at the net.

"I would have guessed that Matt blocked very well," Walton said. "[Sutherland] was up in front of [Sangrey], and if he wasn't blocking him, he was getting touches and really slowing balls down and really making easier digs for us in the back row."

Ball State (12-7, 4-4 MIVA) is catching Loyola (12-10, 3-3) at a good time. The preseason favorite to win the MIVA has failed to live up to the expectations place on it this season due in large part recently to issues at setter.

Joseph Smalzer, one of Loyola's best outside attackers, spent time as the team's setter at the beginning of the month. Any drastic changes against a hot Ball State team could be dangerous.

Ball State's win over Ohio State most likely will make every MIVA team a little nervous. Even though the regular season championship may be too far out of play for Ball State, continuing to build off its recent performance is the team's primary goal.

"We've seen in years past where team's haven't won the conference regular season title, but have been hot at the end of the year," Walton said. "And the tournament is what gets you into the NCAA's. As long as we continue to build momentum, I'll be pretty happy with the job our team is doing."

For more men's volleyball coverage, follow @andrewmishler on Twitter. 

Projected starting lineup

Middle attacker: Matt Leske, Kevin Owens

Outside attacker: Greg Herceg, Larry Wrather, Matt Sutherland

Setter: Dan Wichmann

Libero: Tommy Rouse

Prediction

Ball State wins 3-1

Loyola has underperformed this season, and Ball State is coming off its biggest win of the season. Both teams are heading in different directions. History doesn't favor the Cardinals in a road match at Loyola, but circumstances are different this year. Ball State has a great opportunity to take advantage of them.