SOCCER: Ball State inks four to play in 2012

German recruit headlines signees

Ball State soccer coach Craig Roberts announced the signing of four new recruits for the class of 2012 on Tuesday.

Roberts addressed offense and defense in recruiting forwards Aubrey Hauenstein (Noblesville, Ind.) and Morgan Whitfield (Riverdale, Utah), along with midfielders/defenders Kaila Mack (Libertyville, Ill.) and Ariane Stuckmeier (Pattensen, Germany).

Hauenstein led her team to a 41-5-9 and scored 31 goals as a three-year letterwinner at Noblesvile High School. As a senior, she was named Second Team All-State and First Team All-Hamilton County.

Whitfield was a two-year letterwinner at Bonneville High School and won a State Championship her junior year. She finished her senior year with 11 goals as well as First Team All-State honors.

Mack was ranked the 15th best player in the Midwest Region for the class of 2012 by TopDrawSoccer.com. Roberts said she is a player who is a smart decision maker and wins a lot of balls in the air, which is vital in the possession-style offense he's trying to install.

Struckmeier is the seventh player on Ball State's roster from outside the U.S. as Roberts continues to use his English roots as a recruiting tool for foreign players. She was named to the U-20 Women's All-Star Team in 2011 and Roberts said she's a versatile player who can play both sides of the ball.

Ball State finished last season 7-10-2 in Roberts' second season.