MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Rouse playing big role in second year

Second-year starter is making strides in his on-court communication

Big things are expected out of the Tommy Rouse this season.

The 5-foot-8 libero is in his second season as a starter. He's playing one of the few positions on the Ball State men's volleyball team that isn't undergoing significant change. And the team needs him to be a steady defensive presence in the backcourt.

Now that the 2012 season is already a month underway, it's clear to both the team's players and coaches that those expectations are steadily being fulfilled.

Between his serve receive skills and backcourt defense, coach Joel Walton has seen development in Rouse's play.

"He's expanded the range of the court that he can cover, and some of it is his ability to read and see situations," Walton said. "He's seeing things a little bit clearer this year, getting his body into better places to be ready to make plays. His defense has definitely come up another notch."

Although he's taken steps at improving his volleyball skills, the most significant difference in Rouse won't show up in the box score.

His digs per set are slightly up from 2.26 in 2011 to 2.37 in 2012, but through the first nine matches in both seasons, he's down from 92 digs in 33 sets last year to 83 digs in 35 sets now.

For Walton, Rouse's development as a communicator has been his most substantial impact on the team.

"He's communicating all sorts of things," Walton said. "He's communicating to our team what our passing plan is, what areas of court the guys have to cover. He's communicating to hitters what shots they have. After a ball has been passed, he's reminding people to get in and cover. There's so many different things that Tommy's voice is giving to our team this year as far as leadership, and that's another great step."

This year, Rouse realized he had to take that step.

"At the libero position, you have to be the most vocal person on the court," he said. "Any time, if the libero is not talking, then you're not going to be successful. Ever since I've got to college, that's one thing Joel's told me I need to get better at."

With three new starters in the lineup, the redshirt sophomore didn't have much of a choice. The alterations in the lineup left a significant hole in leadership that needed to be filled.

Through the first nine matches of Ball State's season, Rouse has begun to seize that role. Occasionally he can be seen barking out commands to his teammates or running to congratulate a teammate on a big play. While he may have done that in his first year as a starter, now he is doing it as a leader and a veteran on the court.

"With more time on the court, you're going to find yourself, your role, what you can bring to the table to help out your team," Rouse said. "Sometimes your role changes from year to year. [Freshman outside attacker] Shane [Witmer] right now is doing a very good job. [Freshman outside attacker David Ryan Vander Meer] has come in and served some very good balls. They're finding their places on the court, so that's neat to see."

On any volleyball team, a strong relationship between a libero and a setter is crucial to finding success For sophomore setter Graham McIlvaine, who is also in his second-year as a starter, the similar development of both players has only made their bond stronger.

"[He's] really fast and not afraid to get hit in the face by a ball. That's what makes him an excellent libero," McIlvaine said. "We've matured a lot more and we've focused on communicating more on the court, and I think Tommy does a really good job of that."

Possibly the best notion that Rouse has displayed this season is that he isn't done growing. Collegiate volleyball is still slowing down for him.

But whether its on defense, in the huddle or in practice — Rouse is on his way to becoming a better player.

[I'm] definitely more calm than [I was] starting out," Rouse said. "The mental game is much better than I had last year. Especially in these situations, the game is so much faster in college than it is in high school. Just adjusting to that has been one of the best things."