MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ohio State's Sangrey presents big problems for Ball State

Outside attacker leads the nation in kills per set, should test Ball State's defense

Showing improvement on offense may have been Ball State's first priority in the last few weeks, but winning this weekend will depend heavily on the team's defense.

Ball State will play one of the best outside attackers in the nation tonight in senior Shawn Sangrey when it plays Ohio State on the road at 7 p.m. Following the match, they'll return home to play IPFW on Saturday at 7:30. 

Sangrey leads the entire NCAA in kills with 4.85 per set and leads the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association in attacks with 468. That's nearly 200 more than the second closet player on Ohio State.

Coach Joel Walton said he recognizes the problems that Sangrey presents to Ball State on defense, especially in the back row.

"One of the things that's really important with him is being in good digging positions, because he's going to hit the ball around, sometimes over and off the block," he said. "You've got to be able to dig the ball in the transition back at Ohio State. If you don't do that, Sangrey's going to have a really good night and put up some pretty impressive numbers."

In terms of blocking, Ball State has prepared itself well for Sangrey and other elite attackers this season.

Even though the two players that drove Ball State to lead the nation in blocking in 2011 have now graduated, the team's numbers hasn't taken much of a dip in the first month of the season.

Three Cardinals – sophomore middle blockers Kevin Owens and Matt Leske, and sophomore setter Graham McIlvaine – rank in the top 25 nationally in blocking. Owens owns the highest spot at twelfth overall with 1.17 blocks per set.

McIlvaine is also the second highest setter on the overall list. He stands one spot behind Grand Canyon setter Keith Smith.

All three players, along with the team's outside attackers, will have to stay steady at the net in order to keep Sangrey contained.

That doesn't excuse Ball State's back row defense from holding its own as well.

Sophomore libero Tommy Rouse will be counted on set the tone in that area. He's done that so far this season, ranking in a tie for fifth nationally in digs per set at 2.43.

Right-side attacker Jamion Hartley said each area of the team's defense will be crucial to keeping the Cardinals close with the Buckeyes.

"It's everyone," he said. "[Sangrey's] an All-American. He's not going to get blocked every time or most of the time. I think everyone has to work together, the block giving a good picture, and the back row and Tommy making a good dig.

"We have to go into the match with the mindset that he's going to get some big kills and just not let it effect us."

After capturing the NCAA Championship last season, Hartley said it's important that Ball State doesn't lose its focus against a nationally recognized team.

"They're a team I feel like a lot of people walk into the gym and just see the names on the back of the jersey," he said. "If we just stay focused and keep working hard, then we'll be good."