MEN'S BASKETBALL: Cardinals can't recover from slow start in loss

Robinson leads team with 14 points in 21 minutes in season debut

Ball State's sophomore guard Tyrae Robinson showed he was more than a viable back-up to senior point guard Randy Davis in his freshman season.

His dribble-drive ability and quickness is unmatched on the Cardinals roster and it showed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament last year.

After being declared academically ineligible for the first semester, which included nine games, Robinson made his long-awaited debut Friday against Morehead State.

He led the Cardinals with 14 points in 21 minutes of play off the bench. The team went 6-3 in Robinsoon's absence, but it is now 0-1 with the 6'2 playmaker in the lineup.

Ball State lost its second straight game Friday, 62-54 at Morehead State. It is the team's first two-game losing streak since starting off the season with losses at Arizona and Indiana State.

Robinson showed some rust after nearly nine months off from game action, turning the ball over five times. His mistakes were part of a larger problem for Ball State, who committed a season-high 24 turnovers.

The struggles didn't stop there.

For the third straight game, the Cardinals were beaten on the glass, losing the rebounding battle 31-25 to the Eagles.

Extra opportunities killed Ball State all game. Desipte shooting 38.8 percent, Morehead State's 18 offensive rebounds yielded 18 second chance points.

Guard Terrance Hill led Morehead State in scoring with 12 points on 3-of-11 shooting.

Last season, Robinson averaged 4.3 points and 2.4 assists in 18 minutes of play. Through one game, it seems all those averages will be up to help solidify the perimeter.

After getting out-rebounded the past three games, Ball State's interior players have a good chance to figure out the problems next Saturday, Dec. 31, against Chicago State.

The Cougars are 0-13 on the season and rank near the bottom of the NCAA in nearly every statistical category.