WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cards receive votes in national poll

Ball State's success this season gaining attention from coaches across country

For the first time since 1995, the Ball State women's volleyball team has received votes in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Division I Top 25 Poll.

In the poll released Monday, Ball State (20-3, 9-1) earned three votes. The Cardinals were the only team from the Mid-American Conference to receive votes this week.

Monday's poll is the closest Ball State has come to being ranked in the top 25 since they had the most votes for an unranked team in 1995. That team defeated then-No. 8 Pacific on Sept. 9, 1995.

"It's really a testimony to how hard our players have worked the last two years," coach Steve Shondell said. "It's all about playing for Ball State and playing as a team. The girls have been rewarded for their commitment and dedication to Ball State."

Ball State is the third team from the MAC to receive votes in the poll this season, with Northern Illinois and Bowling Green being the other two. Purdue, ranked 13th, is the only other team from Indiana to earn votes in the poll.

Ball State vaulted into the national rankings with wins over Miami and Bowling Green last weekend, extending their season record to 20-3 and MAC record to 9-1. The team also set the best 23-match record in program history, beating out the previous record of 19-4.

By sweeping Bowling Green, Ball State became the first team in the conference in reach 20 wins and the first to clinch a spot in the MAC Tournament. The best eight records in the conference at the end of the season advance to the reformatted tournament, which will be held Nov. 18-20 in Geneva, Ohio.

The Cardinals' pair of wins last weekend kept pace with the rest of the conference. Ball State still holds a one-match lead over Northern Illinois and Western Michigan for the best record in the MAC.

The three votes serve as benchmark for how Shondell has turned around Ball State since he became the head coach in 2010.

Shondell took over a 15-16 team in disarray from the resignation of former coach Dave Boos and has turned it into one of the MAC's best teams in only a year and a half as coach.

Middle blocker Jennifer Boyd said Shondell's personality and coaching style has been the biggest factor in Ball State's rapid development.

"Steve's really good at encouraging us and giving us confidence as players," she said. "Now with that, we can take the talent and skills that we've always had, and now we're able to be successful on the court."

Ball State will try to build on its accomplishment this weekend as the team plays Toledo on the road Thursday and Buffalo at home Saturday. Both matches will begin at 7 p.m.