MEN'S GOLF: Cards finish fall season with fifth place finish

Carpenter, Stinson tie for 16th place at Firestone Invitational

The Ball State men's golf team has completed their fall season with a fifth place finish at the Firestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio. No. 34 Indiana and St. Mary's (Calif.) finished in a first-place tie shooting an 854 (-10). The Cardinals shot an even par 864 on the tournament.

Senior TJ Carpenter and junior Alex Stinson led the team with 16th-place ties with a score of 215 (-1).

Sophomore Tyler Merkel finished tied for 27th shooting a 218 (+2). Junior Joe Gasser was close behind, finishing tied for 30th with a score of 218 (+2). Junior Tony Lazzara rounded out the lineup with a 56th-place tie, shooting a 224 (+8).

Junior Brodie Williams competed as an individual. He tied for 42nd with a 221 (+5).

Coach Mike Fleck was pleased with the way the team played this weekend, and also with how they played during this fall.

"We did OK. We put ourselves in great positions to finish better, but we never capitalized on the situations," Fleck said. "But overall, I was pretty pleased."

The team has a four-month layoff before they begin the spring season.

"Our fall season was very successful with the quality of our tournaments, the players and being ranked in the top 70," Fleck said. "We were 11-0 verses MAC schools that we played against and we have had multiple players finish in the top 20 this season. We just need to build from there and continue to work hard and get better."