FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State to play Miami, the only team it has beaten this year

Maddox says players are tired of losing, hungry to break streak of losses

After dropping the first two of three games in its Mid-American Conference road trip, the Ball State field hockey team will travel to Oxford, Ohio, to play a 6 p.m. game today against Miami.

The Cardinals (1-10, 1-3) are looking to finish their road trip on a positive note and the match-up against the RedHawks favors the visitors. The two teams first met on Sep. 21 and the Cardinals clung to a 3-0 shutout, securing their first conference win and only win of the season.

Coach Beth Maddox was certain Miami underestimated her team the first go-around and said it won't happen this time.

"We kind of played that card and took advantage," Maddox said. "It's not going to happen again."

After last weekend's disaster, which included losses to Ohio and Kent State, the Cardinals will enter another hostile environment. Maddox is fully aware of what her team is up against.

"Playing Miami at Miami, they always bring their A game," Maddox said. "They always come out stronger, faster, more aware and alert. I prepared the girls and let them know that Miami is coming to rock you, so you better bring your A game."

In order for the Cardinals to bring their A game, senior captains Devanny Kuhn, Gretchen Lulow and Katie Norris will need to lead the way.

Kuhn, a forward, has been the primary source of offense over the past three games. She's recorded two goals on 10 total shots and six have been on goal. Lulow, a backfielder, scored her first goal of the season in the Cardinals' win over the RedHawks. Norris, also a backfielder, is the leader of the Cardinals defense and serves as the primary communicator in front of the goal.

As the Cardinals look to get back on track, Maddox acknowledged her team is set on winning from here on out.

"The girls are hungry," Maddox said. "They want it. They're over almost doing things right, halfway going and playing half a game. They're ready to compete for 70 minutes. A lot of it is figuring out how to mesh well together. They're getting to the point where they're over not winning."