FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State to host Kent State, Ohio this weekend

Cardinals could push for top seed in MAC tournament with two wins

After a disappointing one-goal loss at Central Michigan last Sunday, the Ball State field hockey team will square against Kent State and Ohio, two of the better teams in the Mid-American Conference, this weekend.

The Cardinals will meet the Golden Flashes this afternoon and the Bobcats on Sunday.

Their two opponents have a combined 9-3 conference record this season and the Cardinals have dropped the first of two meetings with each team. Kent State took down the visiting Cardinals 4-1 on Oct. 2, while Ohio pushed the red and white around at will, cruising to a 9-1 win a day earlier.

The Cardinals will need to protect their home turf and rely on their freshmen to lead the way. Sanne Hermans has had a stellar season for coach Beth Maddox. Hermans has tallied three goals, six assists and 12 points in her rookie season.

Senior co-captain Devanny Kuhn has also been a standout for the Cardinals. Kuhn leads the team with five goals, 55 shots and 35 shots on goal. Kuhn will need to help the offense maintain the zone and be aggressive early and often.

The Cardinals should fair better against the Golden Flashes, who are averaging less than two goals per game. The same cannot be said when the Cardinals meet the Bobcats, as the home team will be heavy underdogs.

Splitting the pair of weekend games would be huge for Ball State, while going winless would virtually eliminate their chances of earning a top seed in the MAC tournament.