FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State falls at Central Michigan

Team falls to under .500 in conference with loss

As it arrived in Mt. Pleasant, Mich., for a Mid-American Conference showdown with Central Michigan, Ball State envisioned crashing the home teams' Senior Day.

With the season winding down, the Cardinals weren't able to overcome a pair of first-half goals by the Chippewas, falling 2-1.

The loss will be difficult to digest for coach Beth Maddox and her young team for many reasons. For the second time this season, the Chippewas defeated the Cardinals. In addition, the defeat leaves the Cardinals with a 3-4 mark in the MAC.

Central Michigan got on the scoreboard in the opening minutes when Erin Dye netted her sixth goal of the season off of a penalty corner kick.

Down 1-0, Ball State regrouped and tied the game after senior co-captain Devanny Kuhn tallied her fifth score of the season.

The Chippewas came away with another score when Paulina Lee re-directed a shot in front of the Cardinals goal to give the home team a 2-1 lead.

That was all the Chippewas needed. Despite being outshot seven-to-six in the second half, the Chippewas rallied behind goalkeeper Anastasia Netto and secured their fifth MAC win of the season. The Chippewas stand just one win shy of Ohio, who leads the MAC with a perfect 6-0 record.

The freshmen duo of Laura Malinoski and Sanne Hermans continue to shine for Ball State. Malinoski tallied three shots, all which were on goal. Hermans recorded three shots, including two shots on goal. Hermans has posted at least one shot in the past four games.

Problems in the offensive zone continue to hamper Ball State this season. In seven conference games, the Cardinals have been outscored a combined 27-to-16 and have allowed four or more goals four times.

The Cardinals (3-14) will have six days to regroup before they begin their final home stand of the season, which includes games against MAC rivals Kent State and Ohio, along with their final non-conference match against Big Ten opponent Iowa.