CROSS COUNTRY: Cardinals grab second place finish

Mellen leads BSU with fifth place finish, WMU wins meet

A windy day for the cross-country team led to a second place finish at the Ball State Invitational. Although the sun was shinning Delaware County was under a wind advisory.

"It (the wind) defiantly didn't help but it is always the same for everyone so it won't change the results of the race," MaryKate Mellen said.

Mellen was the top runner for the cardinals today in the first 6K race of the season. She finished in 5th place with a time of 22:41.

Madeline Goheen was the next top runner for the team coming in 8th (22:53). Rounding out the top ten for the meet was Courtney Edon(22:58).

"They had a really good showing, they all had great finishes," coach Ali Bishel said.

Coming in with a 13th place finish was Christine Talhelm (23:05). Esther Tirado followed 14 seconds later to clinch 18th, the last top twenty spot for Ball State.

"I'm really happy and really proud of what they did today," Bishel said.

Western Michigan placed first in the meet having runner place 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Miami University placed third overall followed by Kent State and Bowling Green.

The team runs again at home in two weeks when Ball State hosts the 2011 Cross-Country Mid-American Conference Championships. The meet will start for the women at 11 a.m. on October 29, 2011 at the Muncie Elks Club.

"Everyone who ran here today has a big advantage going into the conference (meet)," Mellen said.