CROSS COUNTRY: Ball State looking for improvement after two-week layoff

Bishel expects entire team to lower times at Greater Louisville Classic

After not competing last weekend, many fans may think the cross country team had time to rest and relax. That did not turn out to be the case. 

"I didn't rest the girls," coach Ali Bishel said. "Maybe they get a day off built in, but they are doing their long runs and two-a-days. I'm not taking it easy on them," coach Ali Bishel said.

The team travels Saturday to Lousiville, Ky., for the Greater Louisville Classic. The meet starts at 10:15 a.m.

Most of the runners for the Cardinals change from meet-to-meet, but three have remained at the top.

"First couple of meets it has been MaryKate [Mellen], Courtney [Edon] and Maddie Goheen," Bishel said. "So I expect them to be top three for Ball State. They have all had really spectacular workouts these past couple of weeks."

Mellen's best time of 18:59 was recorded at the Indiana Intercollegiate meet. She is the only one on the team to run under 19 minutes.

Edon was Ball State's next top runner in the meet with a season best of 19:12. Goheen's best time was 19:10 on the challenging Bloomington course. 

Bishel is looking forward to watching Thekla Lorenz perform this weekend.

"I expect her this weekend to probably improve by a minute," Bishel said "I don't think that will even be a question. I just think it will happen, she is just getting expediently that much better that quickly."

So far this season, the team has taken a second place finish at the Miami Invitational and a sixth place finish at the Indiana Intercollegiate meet.

"Our top five are all coming in with each other. I expect them to all make a shift up," Bishel said.