WOMEN'S GOLF: Ball State takes second on home course

Freshman Jenna Hague finishes with Ball State's best tournament score

The Ball State women's golf team placed second in the 36-hole Cardinal Classic Invitational this weekend after being tied for first after the first round Saturday.

The Cardinals hosted the tournament of 10 teams at their home course, the Players Club at Woodland Trails, in Muncie, Ind.

Southern Illinois won the tournament with a total team score of 604. Indiana State finished behind the Cardinals with a team total of 617.

After being tied for first with Southern Illinois after the first round Saturday, the Cardinals struggled on Sunday to finish second. The experience of being in contention is a motivational factor for the future.

"We didn't finish well today," coach Katherine Mowat said. "I think we are very motivated after seeing ourselves in position after two rounds, and we haven't finished the way we wanted to."

After posting a team score of 301 Saturday and 314 on Sunday, Mowat is impressed with her young team which finished with a team score of 615.

"We had a very good round Saturday," she said. "We obviously have the talent and that has been proven in our tournament play. We just need to put it together."

Freshman Jenna Hague led the team for the second consecutive week posting an eight-over-par 152 as she tied for seventh as an individual. It is her second top-10 finish of the season.

Junior Chantelle Hefer finished in a tie 10th with an nine-over 153 to lead the tournament's individual players.

Sophomore Meghan Perry and senior Katie Windlan tied for 11th with a pair of 154's. Junior Autumn Duke finished 15th after finishing with a 156, and freshman Jamie Caylor posted a 164, finishing 41st.

Timing is the factor the team needs to focus on for upcoming tournaments.

"When more than one of your players has an off day, it can be considered bad timing," Mowat said. "It's a combination, and we need someone to shoot a low number every tournament. An under 75 score is what helps the overall team score."

Finishing second will give the team momentum heading into their next tournament at the Butler Fall Invitational on Oct. 3.

"It probably has surpassed my expectations the fact that we have had some young players play well," Mowat said. "I think that gives us motivation to come back and practice and iron out those details to help us finish rounds and tournaments."