FIELD HOCKEY: Bright spots shine through for Cards despite 0-2 weekend

Freshman plays well in debut for Ball State

It wasn't the start Ball State was hoping for; losing both weekend contests to Colgate and Rider, but the Ball State field hockey team (0-2) received quality outings from a few key players, including two newcomers.

The Cardinals were outscored a combined 12-3, being shut-out by Colgate Friday night and falling to Rider by six goals Saturday afternoon.

Despite the teams' road bump, freshmen mid-fielder Sanne Hermans and forward Charlie Digby notched multiple career-firsts.

Hermans, a native of Holland, netted her first goal in a Cardinals uniform at the 31st minute-mark against Rider.

Hermans wasn't finished. She tallied her first assist as Digby hit the open net from the left side of the field in the games' 63rd minute.

The duo played significant playing time in both losses, recording a total of four shots on goal, two goals and one assist.

Another Cardinal, senior captain forward Devanny Kuhn picked up right where she left off last season.

Kuhn recorded 19 total shots, 13 of which were on goal. She also found the back of the net once and added an assist to her weekend performance. She recorded 11 shots against Rider, the most since Sept. 5 of last season versus Saint Louis, with 16.

Goaltending gave the Cardinals fits all weekend. The combination of senior Chelsea Mitchell and freshman Haley Fusting had a weekend to forget.

Mitchell allowed all three goals against Colgate and five to Rider. Fusting came on in relief of Mitchell against Rider, but the end result wasn't pretty, as she allowed four goals to slip past her.

The Cardinals are back in action Saturday in a noon contest against Indiana, at Bloomington.