MEN'S GOLF: Former Cardinal wins Indiana Open Championship

Maurer wins event, five other Ball State golfers finish in top 50

Former Ball State golfer Brian Maurer added another accomplishment in what has been a successful July.

After qualifying for the John Deere Classic, a PGA Tour event, earlier in the month Maurer won the Indiana Open Championship Thursday in a playoff with Muncie native Chase Wright.

For the tournament, Maurer had an under par score of -3.

In addition, Maurer led the field with a 71.25 scoring average and ranked second with an 86.1 par or better percentage.

Maurer was a member of the Ball State men's golf team from 2005-2009. In 2009, he was an All-Mid-American Conference First Team selection and was named Ball State's Travis J. Smith Most Valuable Player after leading the team with a 73.58 average.

Five other former or current Ball State golfers finished in the top 50 of the championship.

Tyler Merkel, a sophomore on the 2011-2012 Ball State team, finished third with an under-par score of -2. Merkel also led the field with 20 birdies made and a 27.8 par breaker percentage.

Ball State alums C.D. Hockersmith and Jamie Broce tied for fourth with an under par score of -1.

Recent Ball State graduate Eric Steger, who tied for 49th at the NCAA Golf Regional back in May, tied for 24th with an over par score of +10 while Ball State junior Alex Stinson tied for 41st with an over par score of +13.