Steven Ward

Former Ball State golfer Brian Maurer added another accomplishment in what has been a successful July.

After qualifying for the John Deere Classic, a PGA Tour event, earlier in the month Maurer won the Indiana Open Championship Thursday in a playoff with Muncie native Chase Wright.

For the tournament, Maurer had an under par score of -3.

In addition, Maurer led the field with a 71.25 scoring average and ranked second with an 86.1 par or better percentage.

Maurer was a member of the Ball State men's golf team from 2005-2009. In 2009, he was an All-Mid-American Conference First Team selection and was named Ball State's Travis J. Smith Most Valuable Player after leading the team with a 73.58 average.

Five other former or current Ball State golfers finished in the top 50 of the championship.

Tyler Merkel, a sophomore on the 2011-2012 Ball State team, finished third with an under-par score of -2. Merkel also led the field with 20 birdies made and a 27.8 par breaker percentage.

Ball State alums C.D. Hockersmith and Jamie Broce tied for fourth with an under par score of -1.

Recent Ball State graduate Eric Steger, who tied for 49th at the NCAA Golf Regional back in May, tied for 24th with an over par score of +10 while Ball State junior Alex Stinson tied for 41st with an over par score of +13.