BASEBALL: Ball State has current, former player named to All-Star Teams

Godfrey, Bullington named to All-Star teams in respective league

Current and former Ball State baseball players were named to All-Star teams in their respective leagues.

Sophomore right fielder Sean Godfrey was named as a starter on the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League All-Star Team Friday. The league, which began in 2005, has nine teams all based in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Region.

Godfrey, who is one of three players who will represent the Southern Maryland Nationals, had a .272 batting average in 32 games for the Cardinals this past spring.

He has been one of the top hitters in the CRCBL with a .398 batting average which ranks second in the league. He ranks third with an on-base percentage of 1.010 and seventh with 16 RBIs.

He also leads the league in stolen bases with 17 and is fifth in runs scored with 21.

The CRCBL All-Star Team will play against the Valley Baseball League in Harrisonburg, Va. on July 11.

Both leagues are both members of the National Alliance of College Summer Baseball, an organization which fosters cooperation and coordination among summer college baseball leagues in the country.

Former Ball State right-hander Bryan Bullington was named a pitcher for the Central League in Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball League All-Star Series Thursday. His Central League team will play a three-game series against the Pacific League.

Bullington has been one of the top pitchers in the Central League for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp.

His eight wins as a starter for the Carp is the second-best in the league while his 2.18 ERA ranks fifth.

Bullington signed with the Carp in the offseason after making 13 appearances for the Kansas City Royals in 2010. He picked up his first Major League Baseball victory last season after tossing 8 shoutout innings against the New York Yankees.

Bullington pitched for the Cardinals from 2000-2002. He set school records in career wins (29) and strikeouts (357).

After being named the Mid-American Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2001 and 2002, Bullington was picked No. 1 overall by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 2002 MLB Draft. He is the first Ball State and MAC player ever to be taken No. 1 overall.

The All-Star Series runs July 22-24 with games being played at the Nagoya Dome, QVC Marine Field and Kleenex Miyagi Stadium.