TRACK AND FIELD: Ball State takes third place

Relay team places fifth with replacement runners

Ball State walked away with a third-place standing in the Ball State Quadrangular held Friday night.

Fourteen different Ball State athletes won events, adding up to the 122 point total for the Cardinals.

Western Michigan walked away in first place with 158.5 points. Second place Miami had 144.5 points, while Northern Illinois placed fourth with 78 points.

Once again, Ali Bishel was a stand-out runner for Ball State.

Running in the 3,000, Bishel placed first with a time of 10:12.8. Teammate Madaline Goheen placed fourth with a time of 10:58.5.

"I'm looking forward to having a better performance [in the MAC Championships]." Bishel said.

Running in the mile run was MaryKate Mellen, who placed third with a time of 5:05.63. She was followed right behind with a fifth place finish by Bishel. Together, the pair scored ten points.

"I am really going to miss Ali Bishel," coach Randy Heisler said.

Running in the 60-meter dash finals were Janae Taylor and RaJae Marable. Taylor walked away with a personal best of 7.74 good for a third-place ranking. Marable placed eighth with a time of 7.97.

Despite confusion with timing in the finals of the 60 meter hurdles Marable took away a first-place win with a season best time of 8.71. Thekla Lorenz scored three points with a time of 9.22.

The 400-meter dash was dominated by Judah Smith, placing first with a time of 57.40. Teammate Hannah Lange also scored points for the Cardinals.

"I'm happy that I ran faster," Smith said "and I'm really happy with how I placed."

Emily Zets placed fifth in the 800-meter run scoring four points for her team with a time of 2:22.06.

The 200-meter race featured two cardinals placing second and sixth. Taylor placed second with a time of 25.35 while Sharise Logwood had a time of 26.32.

Ball State's 4x400 team placed fifth despite issues putting the team together.

Due to sickness and injuries, three of the girls that normally run in the race were replaced. The team that competed was comprised of Esther Tirado, Zets, Brandi Robinson and Smith they had a time of 4:10.19.

"We were trying to figure out who was going to run ten minutes before the race started." Heisler said.

High Jump was Ball State's strongest field event on Friday. Rebecca Lomax placed first with a jump of 1.70 meters. Placing fourth was Lorenz jumping 1.55 meters.

"Rebecca Lomax jumped well tonight." Coach Heisler said.

Megan Cherry walked away with a forth-place finish in the triple jump, scoring five points for the Cardinals.

Lorenz scored a third-place finish in the long jump with a jump of 5.63 meters.

In the weight throw, Lywanna Melvin scored six points for the cardinals with her third-place finish. She hurled the weight 15.35 meters. Jorden Traver also scored four points for her team with a throw of 13.68 meters.

In shot put, Kate Krull placed tenth and Traver placed eleventh.

Next weekend, Ball State heads into the MAC Championship finals in Bowling Green, Ohio.

"I really have a lot of confidence," Heisler said "I think they will show up and have season best performances."