WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State freshman records double-double against Kent State

Baker says she made right college decision

Freshman outside hitter Kylee Baker got what she wanted. Baker wanted to beat Kent State, a school that recruited her for three years prior to her decision to play for Ball State. She also wanted to show she made the right decision.

A four-set win in which Baker posted her fourth career double-double, 11 kills and 10 digs, went a long way in doing that.

"I'm happier about [Saturday's] win than I was about Friday's over Ohio," Baker said. "That's saying something. I had less kills, but this is more satisfying for me."

Baker was witness to a world of opposites Saturday night. On one side, Ball State coach Steve Shondell, a soft-spoken and laid back coach. The other side, Kent State coach Glen Conley, a fiery, aggressive, and very expressive coach.

Conley received a yellow card during the first set and loudly dropped his clip board in a huddle to gain the attention of his team.

"It was kind of comical tonight," Baker said. "I got the first kill. Then they kept serving to me, over and over. I figured, if that's the way it's going to be I just had to make sure to pass the ball well."

Baker did pass the ball well. She had a perfect 12-for-12 reception rate off serves.

"I had a lot of fun," Baker said. "I think I showed I'm solid defensively. There's always work that can be done though."

In the end, Baker and Ball State got the win. For Baker it verified she had the right situation and coach supporting her.

"This is definitely a satisfying win. It reassures me that I made the right decision," Baker said. "Glen is a polar opposite from Steve and I'm not sure I'd be able to play for Glen very long.

"His style of coaching works for some players, but I just don't think it would work for me."