WOMEN'S GOLF: Ball State tied for fifth after first round at MAC Tournament Preview

Ball State is tied for fifth place with Toledo at the Mid-American Conference Tournament Preview at a 33-over-par 321 after playing through 18 holes Monday.

Western Michigan leads the field at 20-over with 308, followed by Akron in second at 309, Ohio in third at 312 and Eastern Michigan in fourth at 320.

Senior Brittany Kelly carried the Cardinals during the first round of play, finishing first for Ball State and tying for second individually with a two-over 74.

The rest of the team didn't fare as well, with junior Katie Windlan coming in second for Ball State with 80. She was followed by senior Rachel Pruett with 82, freshman Meghan Perry with 85 and freshman Sarah Westaway with 86.

Coach Katherine Mowat said she expects better overall scores from the team in the rest of the tournament.

"Brittany played really well, but we didn't have a lot of great scores to back her up today," Mowat said. "I look at the talent on our team and what we all believe we're capable of, and we didn't quite get there today. We have tomorrow to look forward to, and as our last tournament of the fall, we want to close out on as good a note as possible."

The final round of the tournament will begin Tuesday morning.