WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State places three on all-tournament team

Brandl named MVP

Ball State seems to have all the momentum in the world right now. After winning the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Cougar Classic last week, the Cardinals returned to Worthen Arena to win the Active Ankle Challenge.

In the process of sweeping all three matches over Oakland, Robert Morris and Tennessee State, several players earned all-tournament honors. Senior libero Alyssa Rio, freshman outside hitter Kylee Baker and junior middle blocker Kelsey Brandl were named to the all-tournament team. Brandl was also named the tournament's MVP.

"It's a really great feeling. There's nothing better than having immediate success," Baker said. "With everybody behind you and the fans supporting you, it's just amazing."

Baker leads the team offensively with 69 kills and only 18 errors. She registered 35 more kills over the weekend. Baker completed a career best effort against Oakland, posting a double-double with a career high 16 kills and 11 digs while committing zero errors.

Brandl posted 27 kills for the tournament despite only getting nine swings Friday night against Tennessee State. For the year Brandl has 60 kills. In addition to tournament honors, Brandl won bragging rights by defeating Ashley Nevelle, Oakland's setter.

"All the teams were very athletic this weekend and were very scrappy," Brandl said. "I actually played with Ashley for my first year at Cincinnati and I knew she wasn't going to give up."

Rio was just pleased with winning the Active Ankle Challenge, a feat not yet felt in her three years at Ball State. Rio leads the Cardinals with 88 digs on the season, including the 22 she recorded against Oakland in the Active Ankle Challenge Finale.

"Seeing how I haven't won it [the Active Ankle Challenge] in my three years I'm excited and boosts our confidence," senior libero Alyssa Rio said. "Hopefully it will keep bringing in the fans too."