MEN'S GOLF: Ball State ready for season's second tournament

After placing second last weekend in a tournament full of teams like Indiana, Missouri, Illinois and Michigan, the Ball State men's golf team will travel to Louisville, Ky., to play today and Tuesday against the likes of Murray State, Austin Peay and Eastern Kentucky in the Cardinal Collegiate.

On paper, Ball State should be able to easily match its first performance of the year, but coach Mike Fleck said his team won't be overlooking any tournament this fall.

"They know what the expectations are for every tournament," Fleck said. "Everybody knows what the approach needs to be and they've got to lead by example. Each player has got to help each other along to play well in all of these tournaments."

Sophomore Tony Lazzara said the team opened the season strong and hasn't showed any signs of slowing down this week in practice.

"Our team is really playing well right now," Lazzara said. "We've got a good solid five guys going strong heading into this match, and we've got really good team chemistry."

Ball State will take to the greens in Louisville with the same lineup that it used in its first tournament. The lineup includes senior Eric Steger, Lazzara, sophomores Alex Stinson and Joe Gasser, and freshman Tyler Merkel.

Merkel said the continuity from last week and the overall chemistry throughout the team has helped his play.

"All the seniors, [Zac] Treash, [Anthony] Novak and Steger, they're always there helping," Merkel said. "We've got a great team and everybody is always there helping each other. If somebody needs some help with their game or needs a ride to the course, everybody is always there. We've got great leadership on this team and it really has helped."