BASEBALL: Red Sox pick Vitek with 20th overall pick in MLB Draft

The Boston Red Sox selected Ball State University All-American Kolbrin Vitek in the first round of the 2010 MLB First-Year Player Draft on Monday night.

Vitek was the 20th overall player to be picked and is the seventh first-round draft choice in Ball State history. Brad Snyder was the last Cardinal to be picked in the first round, going 18th overall in 2003.

The Red Sox interest in Vitek had been known for some time, and it became clear they were considering making him their top pick this year when general manager Theo Epstein scouted Ball State's first game at the Mid-American Conference Tournament last month. Since then, Vitek has gone to Boston to work out for team officials.

Should Vitek sign, he will join former Ball State star Jeremy Hazelbaker in the Boston organization. Hazelbaker was drafted in the fourth round last year by the Red Sox.

Vitek has until August 16 to sign a contract with Boston or return to Ball State for his senior year. He is expected to forego his final season as a Cardinal.

In what was likely his final college season, Vitek hit .361 with 17 home runs and 68 RBIs, all team bests. He also had a 3-4 record on the mound with a 3.28 ERA and three saves. Last week, he became just the fourth first-team All-American in Cardinals history.
For more on this story continue to read The Ball State Daily News online.