MEN'S BASKETBALL: Myron Green arrested for DWI, minor consumption

The freshman guard had already announced intentions to transfer from BSU

Ball State University freshman Myron Green was arrested early Saturday morning by Indiana State Police and has been preliminarily charged with two misdemeanors – driving while intoxicated and minor consumption – officials at the Delaware County Jail confirmed Sunday morning.

Jail officials said the probable cause document for Green's arrest is not available to be seen because it is yet to be signed by a judge.

Officer Mat Kovich from the Delaware County Jail said Green was arrested at 5:09 a.m. on Saturday and released at 11:22 that same morning. His bond was set at $1,000.

Ball State announced on April 14 that Green had decided to transfer from the Ball State men's basketball team to be closer to his Compton, Calif., home. He appeared in 27 of the team's 30 games this past season, starting one, and averaged 2.8 points and 1.6 rebounds per contest.

Ball State coach Billy Taylor said Sunday afternoon that despite Green no longer being with the program, he was concerned for Green both personally and academically.

Taylor said Green still is finishing the semester at Ball State.

"It's obviously a very poor set of decisions by Mryon leading to his arrest," Taylor said. "On a personal level, I really hope he can find a way to focus academically so he can leave Ball State on good academic standing."

Green is the first Ball State basketball player arrested since September 2007 when both Jalon Perryman and Kevin Ford were arrested within days of each other.

Perryman, a Tim Buckley recruit, was charged with drug possession, while Ford, a Ronny Thompson recruit, was arrested for illegal consumption by a minor.

Ford was dismissed from the program by Taylor, while Perryman decided to leave the program soon thereafter.

"We really always talk to our guys about the value of making the right choices and decisions," Taylor said. "We know the guys will make mistakes, but we just tell them to be very careful in the decisions they do make."