WOMEN'S GOLF: Ball State finishes ninth at Indiana

Junior leads Cards with eighth-place showing

The Ball State University women's golf team came up short this weekend, finishing in ninth place in the Indiana University Invitational in Bloomington.

"[It was a] very competitive field and we came back in the second round and played really well Sunday," coach Katherine Mowat said.

Ball State managed a score of 911 (+47) in the 16-team tournament.

In the first round, the Cardinals fell behind with a score of 312 (+24), but they came back to play the second and third rounds at +23. Juniors Rachael Pruett and Brittany Kelly went without making a bogey until the 18th hole in the third round.

Kelly led the Cardinals with an eighth place finish in the 90-player field. Kelly tallied rounds of 75, 77 and 70 to finish at 222 (+6). It was her fifth-straight top-10 finish this season.

"She is the best player in the conference so far," Mowat said.

Pruett tied for 15th after carding a 223 (+7). In the last round, Pruett scored a 71 and set career bests for a single round and 54-hole total.

Kristtini Cain managed a 232 (+16), Kirsty O'Connor scored a 234 (+18) and Katie Windlan tallied a 244 (+28).

Ball State, Eastern Michigan University and Western Michigan University were the three Mid-American Conference schools at the tournament.

The Eagles led the MAC participants with a sixth-place finish and a score of 904 (+40), while the Broncos scored a 931 (+67) and placed 13th.

Indiana won the tournament with an 886 (+22). The University of Colorado came in second with an 892 (+28), and Iowa State University tallied an 895 (+31) to finish third.

The IU Golf Course played to a par 72 at 6,142 yards.

Despite the weekend's outcome, the team is looking forward to a strong conclusion to the season at the MAC Championships April 23 to 25 at The Hawthorns Golf Club in Fishers, Ind.