MEN'S GOLF: Cardinals finish ninth at final tuneup before MAC championships

Steger leads Ball State with 14th place finish

In their last event before the Mid-American Conference Championships, the Ball State University men's golf team placed ninth of 12 teams in the Crooked Stick Invitational in Carmel, Ind., Tuesday afternoon.

In a field that featured nationally ranked schools like University of Illinois and Middle Tennessee State University, Ball State finished with a 68 over par 920 over three rounds at Crooked Stick Golf Club. 

"It was a pretty frustrating weekend to be honest," coach Mike Fleck said. "The inconsistencies are getting to us. We haven't played to our potential this spring yet." 

No. 19 Illinois won the tournament with a seven over par. Fighting Illini junior Chirs DeForest was the top individual, shooting a six under par.

Fleck said junior Eric Steger was the most consistent player at Crooked Stick. Steger finished at eight over par, tying  for 14th. He shot a 71 in round one and a 73 in round three - the best scores for the Cardinals. 

Fleck said freshman Tony Lazzara and junior Anthony Novak had good rounds, but need to put the rounds together to be effective. Lazzara, a Carmel resident, finished tying for 44th, 21 over par.

Heading into the MAC Championships, Fleck says the only player he is sure will be playing in the championships will be Steger

"Two through five is up in the air right now," Fleck said. "We are playing inconsistently and we need guys to step up. We're going to spend the next week to figure things out and figure out what our line up will be."