BASEBALL: Ball State sets records in 32-10 win at Bowling Green

Cardinals win sixth straight MAC game

The offensive explosion continued for Ball State University on Saturday with a record-breaking performance.

Ball State defeated Bowling Green State University 32-10, setting the school record for most runs, hits (29) and at bats (58) in a game. The previous runs record was 31, which the Cardinals (13-16, 7-1) had done twice, most recently in 2006.

First baseman Ian Nielsen led the team with eight RBIs, two short of the Cardinals' record. The sophomore went 5-for-7 with two home runs. He was one of a few starters to play the entire game, but only did so because his backup, Blake Beemer, started as designated hitter.

Third baseman Stephen Claypool stayed hot with a 4-for-6 day. The freshman is 12-for-21 with 11 RBIs in the last five games.

15 of Ball State's 16 batters scored at least on run or had an RBI. The only Cardinal who recorded a plate appearance without producing a run was reliever Brad Piatt, who struck out in the ninth.

Starting pitcher Cal Bowling (2-3) earned the victory, allowing four runs in six innings.
The Falcons scored six runs in the ninth inning off reliever Justin Warrington.

Ball State has scored 44 runs in two victories at Bowling Green (8-17, 2-6). The Cardinals have won their first three Mid-American Conference series and are on a six-game conference winning streak.

The Cardinals will attempt to finish the sweep against the preseason MAC East favorites Sunday at 1 p.m.