WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Fatigue a factor in 2nd-half slow down vs. Toledo

Packard tries substituting often to help stop RocketsGÇÖ quick attack

CLEVELAND – In Ball State University's 67-56 season-ending loss to the University of Toledo Wednesday afternoon at Quicken Loans Arena, coach Kelly Packard believes the slow second half start and fatigue played a major factor in her team's loss.

Tied at 30 at halftime, the Rockets went on a 17-6 run over the first five minutes of the second half to find themselves up 47-36 practically before the fans returned to their seats from the concession stands.

Packard believes her team was focused on the game, but fatigue was the cause of the slow start.

"I never saw a lack of focus on the court today," Packard said. "I saw us get fatigued and I started seeing facial expressions that told me we were getting tired."

Packard said she tried to fight the fatigue by substituting often throughout the second half and much of the entire game.

"Fatigue kept us from being able to contain [Naama Shafir] from getting to the lane," Packard said. "She's going to want to drive the lane anyways and she's going to make good decisions for either her or her teammates."

The fatigue showed particularly throughout the second half, as after the seven-minute mark in the second half, Toledo's lead was never less than 11 points.