MEN'S BASKETBALL: Senior Watson suspended indefinitely prior to WMU game

Forward suspended for GÇ£conduct detrimental to the team;GÇ¥ immediate status unknown

KALAMAZOO, Mich. – At the end of a long basketball season when a team is fighting and clawing its way for positioning in the postseason tournament, that team typically turns to its leaders for guidance and inspiration.

One of Ball State University's leaders, however, apparently let his team down with about the worst possible timing.

Senior forward Terrence Watson, a starter and the team's fourth-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, was suspended indefinitely prior to Ball State's 67-52 loss at Western Michigan for "conduct detrimental to the team," according to a press release from the Ball State athletics department.

"[Watson's] someone that we need and that we're counting on in order for our team to be successful," Ball State coach Billy Taylor said following the game.

Taylor didn't comment on Watson's specific actions, but said he is meeting with Watson today to further evaluate the situation.

"Once we talk tomorrow, we'll kind of see what the plan is going forward and kind of what direction to go," Taylor said.

Ball State's interior struggled without Watson in the lineup. Though junior forward Malik Perry was available for the first time in three games since re-aggravating a hamstring injury, sophomore forward Mo Hubbard instead got the start in Watson's place against the Broncos.

Hubbard didn't score and had just two rebounds in 11 minutes of action, as he fouled out with 47 seconds remaining in the game. One of his fouls was a technical foul.

Perry, meanwhile, had four points and six rebounds off the bench for Ball State.

Taylor said he knows Watson's importance in the interior for the Cardinals.

"We certainly need him," Taylor said. "He's a senior and he's somebody that can help us in the interior with scoring and with rebounding."