BASEBALL: No. 10 Louisville makes quick work of Ball State

Ball State drops Game One of doubleheader 8-3

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – There would be no messing around from No. 10 University of Louisville in Game One of Saturday afternoon's doubleheader with Ball State University.

After a slow start in Friday's series opener, Louisville (17-1) started quickly against starter Cal Bowling (0-3) and defeated Ball State 8-3. The hosts scored five unearned runs in the second inning, and never looked back.

Right fielder Stewart Ijames started the second inning with a single, and Ball State (5-13) then committed back-to-back errors. Shortstop T.J. Baumet booted a double-play ball and Bowling couldn't field a sacrifice attempt.

Bowling got two outs, but shortstop Adam Duvall hit a two-run double. Second baseman Ryan Wright brought in the final two runs of the inning with a home run.

Ball State scored their first run in the fourth inning with a two-out RBI single from designated hitter Nathan Koontz.

Louisville starting pitcher Dean Kiekhefer (2-1) didn't run into trouble the rest of the way. The left-hander threw seven innings, allowing one run on six hits.

Center fielder Cody Elliott returned from a back injury for Ball State. The sophomore was injured a week ago against the University of Michigan, and returned with a 2-for-4 performance.

While Elliott returned to the lineup, third baseman Stephen Claypool did not play. The freshman hurt his ankle rounding second base on Friday.

The second game of the doubleheader will begin at 4:15 p.m. Continue to check bsudailynews.com and twitter for updates from the action.