GYMNASTICS: Rodriguez named MAC Specialist of the Week

Senior wins honor for bars performance

Bibiana Rodriguez was named the Mid-American Conference co-Specialist of the Week on Tuesday. She is the fourth Ball State University athlete to earn an award from the MAC this week.

Rodriguez received the honor for her second-place finish on the uneven bars with a 9.75 in Sunday's meet against Illinois State University and Texas Woman's University. She also scored a 9.6 on the vault.

Kent State University's Danielle Durbin, a floor exercise specialist in her debut meet, shared the award with Rodriguez.

It is the second weekly MAC award for the gymnastics team this season after being shut out in 2009. Sophomore Brittney Emmons was awarded Gymnast of the Week on Feb. 9.

So far this season, Rodriguez has led the Cardinals five times on the bars, including two first-place finishes. Her career-best bars score of 9.875 at Illinois State on Feb. 7 is tied for the sixth best in school history.

The senior is currently slated to advance to the NCAA Central Regionals on the bars with her 9.755 Regional Qualifying Score. It would be the second-straight year she qualified.

Rodriguez and the rest of the Cardinals will return to action Sunday when they face the Gloden Flashes and Durbin at Worthen Arena in a 1 p.m. start.